Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mashed Potatoes- Here's a Tip...


I made mashed potatoes for dinner to accompany our pork tenderloin. I really love mashed potatoes but they never seemed to come out right when I made them.

Then I read an issue of Cook's Illustrated that solved my problem (that magazine makes me swoon). Instead of boiling the potatoes, you steam them!

Steaming the potatoes cooks them evenly all the way through which means no gross lumps and it leaves in the potato flavor (boiling them literally boils out the flavor and many of the nutrients).

It is really easy to do- put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Place a metal colander inside of the pot, put the cut up potatoes (I cut mine into one or two inch pieces depending on the size of the potatoes I am using) into the colander and then place a lid on top.


I steamed my potatoes for about 15 minutes but it all depends on how many potatoes you are using and how big the cut up pieces are. Just dump your hot potatoes into a bowl and make your mashed potatoes as you usually would.

I promise you, steaming potatoes is the way to go and makes mashed potatoes completely fool proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment