Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Healthy Jello- Even My Son Likes It!

Kids love Jello- at least my son does. I suppose feeding your kids Jello isn't too bad but I really wanted to make a healthier version without all the extra added junk and sugar that the real Jello has. I am trying to feed my kids as wholesome and healthy as I can while getting them to try new things so I thought this recipe was a step in the right direction.

First you start off with three envelopes of gelatin and a can of frozen juice concentrate. I used 100% Apple Juice but you can use whatever flavor you like. Defrost the juice but make sure it is still really cold (I left mine on the counter for awhile).

Pour the juice into a bowl and then pour in the gelatin. Fill the empty can of juice with water and pour into a pan. Bring the water to a boil.


Once water is boiling add the gelatin/juice mix and stir well, until all of the gelatin is dissolved.

Pour mixture into a lightly greased dish- I used a 9 by 13 inch dish but you can use whatever strikes your fancy.

Place dish in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours.

And here it is- Jello made with 100% juice and no added sugar or weird sounding ingredients.

And here is one very happy kid who has no idea that his regular Jello treat has been switched out with something a lot healthier.

Now, this is by no means a frugal recipe- the juice cost me about $1 and a box of four packets of gelatin cost me $1.87, but to me frugal loses out when it comes to my family's health.

No comments:

Post a Comment