Monday, August 30, 2010

Zucchini Muffins


I had a huge zucchini that I got at the farmer's market last week for $1.50 so I decided to use it to make zucchini muffins. My kids love them and they are pretty healthy and are cheap to make.

I used this recipe with a bunch of tweaks as follows:

-cut the vegetable oil from 1 cup to 1/4 cup
-cut the sugar from 1 1/2 cups to 1/2 cup
-added one single size serving cup of natural applesauce
-added 1 1/2 cups of pureed zucchini instead of 2 cups of grated zucchini
-added a pureed banana
-omitted the salt
-substituted the wheat germ for ground flax seed
-made mix into muffins instead of bread and cooked them at 350 degrees for 20 minutes

Because to zucchini was so big I pureed what was left and froze two cups to use in the future.

My kids already ate a few of the muffins (my son hates veggies and loves these muffins) and whatever is left after a few days I will freeze for a quick and healthy snack. To reheat you can either let the muffin defrost at room temperature or do what I do and pop it in the microwave for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment