Friday, August 27, 2010

Franklin Farmer's Market

Bargain Becky ispired me to do something I have been wanting to do for awhile- visit a farmer's market.

Today I took the kids to the Franklin Farmer's Market in Franklin, Ma (to find one near you in Massachusetts go here).

I was a little scared because I thought the prices would be outrageous and that there wouldn't be a good selection of produce. I was wrong- the prices were pretty good and there was a decent selection of goods, especially considering there were less than ten booths.

I don't remember all of the exact prices, but I paid $20 for all of this (there was one more brownie but my son and I ate it- yum!). The honey was $6.00 and was locally made by Akin-Bak Farm in Franklin- they had all of their prize winning ribbons displayed. That huge zucchini was $1.50- what a deal! I will use it to make zucchini muffins and maybe I'll find a recipe (or make my own) for zucchini pancakes. That mini watermelon was .60/lb which is better than the supermarket prices. God only knows what I will do with the eggplant my son picked out- but I guess when in does cover it with bread crumbs and fry it!

I had a lot of fun and most importantly so did my kids. They got to run around the town common and thought it was great. My 3 year old son helped pick out the produce and right now is sitting down and having sliced apples and honey- this is amazing because he has been boycotting fruits and vegetables for awhile.

Even better, this was so much more relaxing than going to the grocery store. I always leave the store feeling frazzled when I take to kids with me but when we left the farmers market I was calm- no yelling mommy here.

The produce looks so much better than the stuff at the grocery store. I have really had it with the awful quality of produce at Shaws and Stop and Shop and am really considering buying mostly from farmer's markets and Whole Foods.

All in all I am happy with what we got and with the experience and will definitely be visiting more farmer's markets in the future. Thanks for getting me off my my lazy butt Bargain Becky!


No comments:

Post a Comment