Thursday, August 12, 2010

Butterflies Are Here!

Our little bitty caterpillars have changed into butterflies. Actually, four have turned into butterflies and the fifth one is still doing whatever it is that caterpillars do while transforming.

My son is so excited to see them flying around their habitat. It really is amazing how a caterpillar can turn into a butterfly- I found myself just staring at them yesterday and hoping that I would catch one emerging from its cocoon thing.


Once the last little guy turns into a butterfly I think we are going to let them go outside. My son is going to be sad but I really don't want to keep them for their entire one to two week lifespan and have dead butterflies to dispose of. I think he would be more upset seeing them dead than seeing them fly away.

All in all I think it was a good use of money. We spent about $7.50 for the habitat at Target (50% off on clearance) and $3.00 for the caterpillars. My son has learned something new because he just wouldn't believe me that caterpillars are baby butterflies and now there is no denying it.

Next week we should be getting the worms for my worm compost bin so there will be a new learning experience for my son (and me).

No comments:

Post a Comment