Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Meet Holly the Dog

This is our new dog, Holly. She is a pit bull mix- just look how mean and aggressive she is...

If you can't tell, I'm being totally sarcastic about the mean and aggressive thing. She is an absolute sweetheart, as are most pit bulls.

Here is the story of how people who did not want any more dogs ended up getting another dog...

My best friend from high school lives in North Carolina. One day she was driving and saw Holly wandering around with no collar, so she took her home. No one came forward for Holly so my friend then contacted all of the no kill shelters in her area but all were full. There was no way she would bring Holly to a regular shelter because dogs get put down there, and unfortunately pit bulls are very hard to adopt out due to discrimination against the breed. My friend took her to the vet and got her a rabies shot and also had her spayed (who in the world would not spay a dog- so irresponsible). Holly was also confirmed to have heartworms (again- only completely irresponsible people don't give their dogs heart worm prevention each month). My friend then found someone who wanted Holly but after living there for two weeks she was given back  because the person's apartment complex did not allow pit bulls.

My friend continuously made posts on Facebook asking if there was anyone who wanted to adopt poor Holly, as she could not keep her because she already had two pit bulls of her own and was also caring of her sick mother. One day my husband saw one of her posts and asked me if we could adopt her. I was so taken aback by this because he was adamant that we would get no more dogs. He liked Holly because looking at her pictures reminded him of our dog Buddie that got put down  few years ago and obviously I thought she was pretty cute too and decided that we could adopt her.

This past weekend my husband drove down to Virginia (we live in Rhode Island) to meet up with my friend and her husband. It was a long ride and I am still amazed at just how committed he was to giving Holly a good home.

Holly has only been with us for a few days but she is just such a wonderful girl and is amazing with our kids. She and our min pin Binky are actually getting along very well too, which is amazing considering Binky hates other dogs. My husband has also decided that even though he said he never wanted a dog to sleep in our bed that Holly is more than welcome to- I feel like we just got our youngest child to sleep on her own and now we have a 40 lb dog co-sleeping with us.

Holly has an appointment with the vet this Friday at which time I will find out what treatment they will do to rid her of heartworms- I am a little scared of the cost but we will do what it takes to get her in tip top shape. I also hope her infection isn't too far along because I don't want her to have to go through any painful treatments- and to think, this could have all been prevented if her previous "owner" took better care of her.

So that is the story of how we came to adopt a pit bull mix into our home. In such a short period of time she has become such a big part of our family and I hope that we can give her the loving home that she deserves  : )

No comments:

Post a Comment