Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Frugal Gift- Shadowbox Photo Frame

A week before Christmas I realized that the only gifts I had for my parents and in-laws were photo calendars (they are expected as I have been making them for the past 7 years). I really wanted to get them something else but honestly, what do you get for people who already have everything they need and can buy whatever they want? Plus, what to you get when you don't have tons of cash to spend?

I went on a pilgrimage to the craft store to try and come up with something thoughtful (and cheap) and after about 45 minutes of walking around (no kidding) I finally came up with an idea. Tyler, my seven year old, came with me and has learned that you never go with mommy to the craft store.

I bought two shadow box frames for about $10 each after a sale and coupon and some scrapbook pins and little "frames" for $4 (they were on sale for buy one get one free).

When I got home I took pictures of my kids' artwork and then printed them as well as a picture of each of my kids. The photo paper I printed on came free with ink I bought for our printer so that was a zero dollar cost.

Here is what I came up with...


Can I just say that they were a huge hit with the grandparents. Mission accomplished! I made great and thoughtful gifts for about $12 each- way better than spending the $12 on a meaningless gift.

Now I just have to try and top this next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment