Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Best Black Beans Ever Recipe- Frugal, Healthy and Yum

On my menu plan I said that we were going to have black beans with our dinner last night but my lack of attention to detail nixed that.

I went to start making the beans at 5 pm only to realize that they needed almost 2 hours to cook. Oops.

I still made them though and right now they are in my fridge ready to be portioned out and frozen for quick side dishes and lunches.

I found the recipe for these in the January/February edition The Whole Deal, which is a booklet that Whole Foods puts out every month with recipes and coupons (my favorite part is the coupons). The recipe is called the Best Black Beans Ever.

1 lb black beans, soaked overnight in water and then rinsed and drained
6 dried bay leaves
4 cloves chopped garlic
1 bunch green onions, white and light green parts sliced and dark green parts thinly sliced
2 cups sauvignon blanc wine
3/4 tsp fine sea salt

Put soaked beans, bay leaves, garlic and white and light green onions into a big pot with 3 quarts of water (this is equal to 12 cups, I felt like this was too much so next time I will reduce it by 2-3 cups). I used a 6 quart dutch oven for this and it worked very well.

Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours making sure to skim off any foam.

Near the end of the cooking time, simmer the wine in a small pot for about 15 minutes or until it has reduced to about one cup. Add the wine and salt to the bean pot and simmer uncovered for about 20 to 30 more minutes until the beans are soft and creamy. Take out the bay leaves and serve. You can add the dark green onions as a garnish, though I didn't because my beans were destined for the fridge and not the table.

So what do I think of "the best black beans ever"? They have great flavor and I feel like they will make a great addition to rice and salads- even tacos would benefit from adding these. The recipe was super easy to make though next time I may try using chicken stock instead of the wine to see how the beans turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment