Friday, September 27, 2013

I Took a Nap...

Jilly- my little girly girl
Earlier today, when Jilly Billy (she is almost 2) and I got back from dropping Alli off at preschool, I sat on the couch with Jilly and put on a show for her to watch. I was going to start running around trying to get the house cleaned up, laundry done and the dishwasher emptied before my husband got home from his business trip but I did something completely out of character for me.

I fell asleep.

And then Jilly must have fallen asleep too.

I woke up an hour later and started immediately thinking about all of the stuff i had to get done and that I needed to get up, but then I looked down at my baby (well, technically she is a toddler) and thought "who cares about the housework".

What a blissful feeling to have my little girl sleeping comfortably on me- this little person who I love so much was so comfortable on me and felt so safe with me that she fell asleep. Talk about feeling at peace with life and with the world. At that moment I let all of my commitments go- I realized that moments like this, being able to cuddle with my little one, were not going to be something that I can do forever.

I then closed my eyes and we slept for another hour.

You know what? The world didn't end because I put my child's needs first. If anything, I made my baby's world a better place because she got to spend time with me. She was my number one priority and I would have to think that a child knowing something like that does them good.

What I will take from my nap today is that I need to re-prioritize my life. Playing with my kids, cuddling with them, reading to them, talking and listening to them- these are all things that I need to put before other things. Housework will always be there because as you all know- no matter how much you do around the house there is always more to do.

I am not going to let my house go the shambles, but if my son wants to play Legos, or my daughter wants to talk to me for 30 minutes about her teddy bear then I am going to let the housework wait a little and give my kids the attention they crave.

Children are only little for so long and when they are adults they are not going to remember how clean your house was or if you kept up on the laundry. They are going to remember spending time with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment