Saturday, May 5, 2012

No Junk For You!

American Candy
photo credit
(make sure you say the title of this in the voise of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, otherwise it just doen't sound too interesting)

When I started to coupon, I mean really coupon, over five years ago after I had my first child I was a complete coupon psychopath. I ran from store to store getting tons of free stuff, some because we needed it and lots because it was free. At that time every blog that I followed was the same way with pictures posted daily of piles of crap that was bought for free or at least 90% off.

Fast forward to today and I have seen a major shift in what people are buying- it seems that many have turned from "if it's free it's for me" zealots into being more intentional about what they bring into their homes. The piles of Pop-Tarts, Keebler cookies and Betty Crocker fruit snacks have diminished into more produce and natural foods. (my view may be screwed though because I don't really follow too many deal blogs and the ones I do follow I have been reading for awhile- I am sure newbie couponers with newbie blogs are more coupon crazy then us old-timers)

I have also been making this shift to feed my family better, though junk still has a special place in my heart and I still let my kids have treats. I'll never be someone who buys no processed food and all organic because there are just some things that I refuse to give up and try telling my husband to quit the soda- that would be total grounds for divorce. I actually looked back on my grocery shopping posts to see if I have been doing good buying healthier food and guess what? I am not full of hot air; I have literally put my money where my mouth is (meat from Whole Foods is killing me but it is a commitment I made and one that I will keep).

At the same time, I don't in any way think that anyone else should do exactly as I do. If someone else want to buy different types of foods for their families who am I to look down on them? I am far from perfect and have been known to be a completely lazy mom so how can I tell someone else that they are terrible for giving their kid a Pop-Tart? There are some morning where I wish I had a giant box of Pop-Tarts to throw at my kids so they would leave me alone and let me sleep for fifteen more minutes. That is actually one reason why I don't buy a lot of junk food- I am lazy and if it's there I will let my kids shove their faces with it, especially on the days where I am feeling overwhelmed being the mom of three kids under the age of five- which actually seems like it's every day. The moms who do buy said junk most likely have more willpower than me and are able to ration it out properly.

Speaking of Pop-Tarts, my mouth is watering right now thinking about the S'mores flavor. Why oh why can't they make a dairy free S'mores Pop-Tart? And if the did you bet your life I would hide the box form the kids, not because I would want to keep the from eating junk food but because I would want to keep them all to myself.

1 comment:

  1. I've been couponing for about 6 months now, and when I first started, I couldn't believe that you could walk out of the store with free stuff (without being stopped by security). I ended up getting quite a few things that we didn't use. Nowadays I follow the couponing blogs and pretty much stick to the stuff I need. I figure if I pay tax on something that I never open, even if it's "free" I'm wasting money.

    ReplyDelete