Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Late Night Grumblings...

Don't sleep here?
photo credit
The honeymoon period is over.

You know when you first have a baby and you think to yourself that getting up with the little bundle of joy isn't so bad- that is the baby honeymoon period.

Then, when the baby is a few weeks old, one day (or shall I say night- most likely after one a.m.) you decide that getting up sucks and you want, and need, your sleep. Waking up to the baby crying feels like torture, but you do it because your a mom and what you want and need no longer matters. What matters is your offspring is hungry and needs a diaper change.

I am at the "honeymoon is over" point- I want to sleep at night. I want to lay down and know that I won't be waking up until after the sun rises.

Even though it sucks getting up in the middle of the night with the baby while the rest of the family is snoring it is not all bad. The feelings of annoyance always seem to melt away when I look down at my newborn daughter as she nurses and then falls asleep in my arms. Then, a few hours later the cycle begins again- baby cries, mommy wakes up grumbling about why can't men have breasts that produce milk, mommy nurses the baby, mommy stares lovingly as the baby falls asleep, mommy falls asleep, baby wakes up a few hours later crying, mommy grumbles, and so on and so on and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment