Thursday, May 5, 2011

My Little Monster Did What?

The other day my son got invited to a little girl in his class's birthday party. Her mom told me that my son was the only one her daughter wanted to invite. I asked Tyler about it and he said that the other girls are not nice to her. He said that he has stuck up for her before and told the girls to be nice to his friend.

It almost brought tears to my eyes that my son, who is sometimes a complete monster at home, would stick up for a friend who is being teased. If anything makes you feel like you are doing something right as a mom it is that.

The next thing that came to my mind is wow, kids really start young these days being mean to each other. I always tell Tyler that I don't expect him to be friends with everyone but he needs to at least be nice to everyone. For little four year old girls to tease another girl seems just awful- that kind of stuff didn't really happen until I got to at least middle school.

This whole thing is also a bit scary to me because I have a little girl. She is not even two yet but this opens my eyes to how petty some girls can be to other girls. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about mean girls until much farther in the future but now I see that teasing can start in nursery school.

What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment