Saturday, April 30, 2011

Do I Stay or Do I Go...

I am sitting at work right now with complete peace and quiet (I am the only one who is in the office on Saturdays). No screaming kids. No worries about the house being messy and getting the laundry done. My husband is home dealing with all of that right now. The only thing I have to worry about is getting my work done.

As far as my job goes, it really is quite a nice set up. I get paid very well for my one day of work and I don't need to pay for childcare for the kids because my husband is home on the weekends. What I do right now is data entry for the mechanics which is a bit boring but before I cut back to just Saturdays I was doing accounting and payroll work.

Now, even though there are pluses to what I do it really is wearing on me working every Saturday. I have to miss out on a lot of stuff because everyone has their get together's on Saturdays (but sometimes I am grateful to have work as an excuse to not go to things). I also miss out on a prime day to get errands done kid free- I don't like to do my shopping on Sundays because it is our family day, our one day of the week we are all home together. Sunday is our day to relax and do what we want- not a day for me to run around to grab my deals for the week.

I am really torn at whether to continue to work after the baby is born. In the back of my mind I was thinking that if I stayed on then once all of the kids were in school full time I could work mother's hours during the week in accounting and payroll but can I hold out that long? It would be around six or seven years from now (Kindergarten in my town is a half day program) and that is a very long time. My kids will want to sign up for sports and do other kid activities on Saturdays when they are a bit older- will I really want to miss out on that? And to keep it totally real about why I like to work- working makes me feel like I am a real person who has worth in the real world. My work depends on me and it feels nice to be needed by people who don't poop in diapers and have tantrums when they don't get their own ways.

I still have a long while to think about this but as we all know, time flies when you're a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment