Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Garbanzo Beans That Kids Will Actually Eat

As I was looking through my folder of random recipes clipped from magazines I found this one for kid friendly chick peas snack (I like to call them garbanzo beans to my son because it makes them sound way cooler).

The original recipe calls for:
(2) 15 oz cans chickpeas
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
I cut the recipe in half because even though they are yummy, my kids will not eat that many garbanzo beans.

Rinse beans in a colander under cold water to get all of the weird can juice off of them.

Pat beans dry with paper towels.

If you want to roast the whole bean then dump the chickpeas onto a cookie sheet. I chose to take off the skin and break them in half because my son does not like the skin and also so that they would be small enough for my daughter to eat without choking. Drizzle with the olive oil and move the chickpeas around to coat evenly with the oil. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes (whole chickpeas) or 15-20 minutes (halved chickpeas) until they are evenly browned.

Pour roasted chickpeas into a bowl and add cinnamon and sugar. Mix together until everything is coated.

Store in an airtight container for up to one week.

I am going to make more of an effort to have more homemade healthy snacks on hand because we have really gotten into a pretzel and cracker rut around here. I also need to find ways to trick my daughter into eating meat. The only meat she will eat is chicken nuggets and those are not something that I very rarely feed my kids. I could make homemade ones but they are not the same texture as the frozen ones- I will have to figure something out...

2 comments:

  1. oooh!
    Cheap, cheap, CHEAP beans at Stop & Shop 'til the end of today!

    Goya premium - 3/$2.
    Print $.75/3 coupon here http://www.goya.com/english/coupons.html

    It doubles to $1.50, so get 3 cans of beans for 50 cents!!

    Lots and lots of chick peas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about using rice krispies are a coating for homemade chicken tenders? They are crunchy on the outside.

    ReplyDelete