Friday, January 21, 2011

Good Bye Buddie...

Today my husband took our dog Buddie to the vet because he was not eating much and had a swollen stomach. When my husband came home Buddie was not with him. My first thought was that he was still at the vet's office but then I looked at my husband's face and saw him crying. My husband never cries.

Our sweet dog had massive liver failure and was put to sleep. The vet said there was nothing we could have done to prevent it and if we took him in sooner he would have been put to sleep then.

I am not a crazy animal person. I love my dogs but they are still just dogs. Even so, Buddie has been a part of our family for over six years and we really miss him. I never thought that I would cry so much about losing a pet but I become a blubbering mess when I think about him not being here anymore.

I remember when I had my first miscarriage when my husband and I were first married Buddie was there for me to cry to- I know he had no idea what was going on but he sat there and let me pet him and I am grateful for that. I also remember the times when my husband would be working at night and Buddie and I would go for a ride to get me some wine and then we would hit up McDonald's to get him a plain hamburger (I even shut his head in the window one of those times but he didn't hold it against me).


I know that he is better off now because he is not in pain anymore but it doesn't make it any easier. All Buddie wanted and needed was to be taken care of and loved and I hope that we did those things for him. I hope that he had a good life while he was with us and I hope that he got as much from us as we got from him. And like I told my son, he is in doggy heaven right now playing with all of the other dogs, eating bacon and getting to pee wherever he wants.

Good bye Buddie and thank you for being such a good dog all of these years.

4 comments:

  1. oh baby! i'm so so so so so sorry to hear about your pooch. i got my first dog this year, and i never knew it was possible to love an animal so much. i can't even imagine what you're going through. much love to you and your family at this very difficult time. xoxox. -a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs. I just had to put down our dog after 9 years in November. She was there to comfort me thru my miscarriage too. She was always there for me and I still miss her. Pets are very much part of the family. I will be thinking of you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your nice comments!
    We got his ashes back yesterday and it made me cry. We are going to bury him with his favorite stuffed money doll when all of this snow melts- I wish we could do it now though because I hate looking at his urn.
    My other dog still seems confused but we are being extra nice to him to try and make up a little bit for his friend being gone.

    ReplyDelete