Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Worm Composting Wednesday

Here is what my worm bin looks like today- not much looks different from last week's post but looks can be deceiving!

After pulling some of the top bedding back this is what it looks like. There is a rotten banana peel that the worms have been feasting on and you can see worm castings all around it (worm castings are worm poop aka awesome fertilizer!).

Here is a closer look at the worm castings mixed in with some of their shredded newspaper bedding and a worm who is probably wondering what the heck is going on. (My hand looks weird in this picture.)

I decided to not feed the worms this week because upon inspection they still have food leftover from last week . It is always better to underfeed than overfeed the little guys.

It is really amazing that they are turning my old newspapers and rotten food into "dirt". I can't wait until I can harvest my new fertilizer and use it on something- what that something is I don't know.

Having a worm bin is so easy- you basically just set it and forget it (remember the Showtime Rotisserie infomercials with Ron Popeil back in the day?) Once the bin is set up you just need to add food now and then but if you forget to sometimes the worms will be Ok. These are my kind of pets! No more dogs from now on- just worms!

No comments:

Post a Comment