Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My Journey Into Worm Composting- Worms Are Here!

My worms came today! My wonderful mail lady attached the box to the mailbox with a rubber band but that is a story for another day.

Any who, on to the worms!

Yesterday, I filled the bin with shredded paper for the worms' bedding. Today, to prepare the bedding for the worms, I moistened the shredded paper with water. You want to make sure that it is damp and not sopping wet because worms do not like too much water.

Here is the bag of worms. The wonderful USPS crushed the box so it is a wonder that I didn't open it to find a worm pancake.

The worms' first meal was a banana peel and some on the verge of spoiling strawberries. When "feeding" them you should bury the food into the bedding to avoid getting fruit flies.

Here are the worms after I dumped them into their new home. I only had two escape which is pretty good considering that there are about 1000 in the bin. Right now they have all gone "underground". I have the light on in the laundry room which will keep them that way (they don't like light) until they get used to living in a bin filled with newspaper.

Now I guess I just sit back and let them do their thing. Kind of boring but I guess it makes them pretty easy pets to have. I am not going to add more food for awhile until I figure out how much they will actually eat in a given period of time.

On a side note, my son is very happy that he has pet worms. He thinks that it is great when I put on in his hand and it wiggles and tries to get away.

I just want to say that this is my first time worm composting so I really have no idea what I am doing. I have done a lot of research and I am just crossing my fingers that I don't kill the worms. For expert information (as in someone who actually knows what they are talking about) go to Red Worm Composting. It is by far the best and most informative site that I have found.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I tried worm binning once but it ended tragically. I was young and irresponsible with my wormies. And totally creeped out by the whole thing, half expecting to open it to find a giant snake or something in the bin.

    Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the well wishes! It will be a week tomorrow since the worms moved in and so far so good. My big fear with having the bin was waking up to find 1000 worms crawling all over my floor- I'm not scared of them but the thought of them crawling around my house scaes me.

    ReplyDelete