Saturday, May 1, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken Stock

When I first found out the I couldn't eat dairy because of my son's allergy I went on a crusade to (try to) eat healthier and feed him healthy food.

One of the things I started to do was make my own chicken stock- something I would have never thought to do before. It is really easy and cheap- I consider it free because I use things that I would have thrown out. Any time that I make any sort of chicken with bones or I cup up veggies I just throw the extras into a zip top bag in the freezer. Once I have enough bones/scraps and I am not feeling lazy (this is so easy to do but I am sometimes so lazy that easy is still too much for me) I take out the crock pot and cook me some stock!

Here is my "recipe":

chicken carcass
onions
carrots
celery

I put all ingredients into the crock pot and cover with water. I cook on low for at least 8 hours or overnight. Once done, I strain the liquid and discard the bones and produce. When the stock has cooled place in the fridge until completely cool and then skim any fat off of the top. Freeze the stock in one cup increments and WALA- you have chicken stock for when you want to make soup or gravy or use in a recipe. I don't add any salt/pepper/seasonings until I actually use the stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment