Saturday, March 1, 2014

More Work...

Help wanted signThis past week I was offered by my work the opportunity to pick up working Saturdays again.

Right now, I am working ten hours a week split between two days which has been working out great. My oldest is in school, my 4 year old is in preschool and my youngest goes to my mom's house (where she has so much fun that she never wants to come home). Normally I would be sad to be away from my kids but they situation just worked out so well plus I actually love where I work and what I do, which makes the transition from full time stay at home mom to part time working mom easier.

I used to work at the same place but just on Saturdays. I did this for basically six years and this past summer decided to leave because I wanted to have my Saturdays back- I wanted to spend more time with my family and it seemed like the easier thing because my husband travels for work. When I left money was a little (very) tight and my hopes of lovely Saturdays off were dashed when I realized that Saturdays were just like every other day- laundry, cleaning, running errands, breaking up fighting kids, etc. Definetly not glamorous like I always envisioned!

I really enjoy working during the week but you know what? I actually kind of miss working on Saturdays too! I did it for so long that it just became a part of my life. So, I told my work that I would add Saturdays to my schedule and am actually excited about it. I do most of my regular work doing the week so on Saturdays I'll finish things up but then I basically just get to hang out and get paid (I am there to answer the phone in case one of our drivers break down). I'll be able to make my shopping lists, make up my menu plans and relax in a quiet environment (I am the only one there all day). What is super awesome is that I'll be making double what I am now because I'll be adding an additional 10 hours to my schedule- this means that we will have lots of breathing room in our budget and will be able to reach our financial goals faster.

I cannot say it enough that I am so fortunate to work where I do- they have been very good to me over the years with flexible schedules and very good pay. I have the dream situation for a work out of home mom and I cannot believe I left it, but I guess leaving showed me that what I had was actually the ideal situation for me. Sometimes I feel guilty that I don't feel guilty for wanting to work because I always thought that all moms should be home with their kids, but since I have gotten older (and maybe a tad bit wiser) I have realized that all moms love their kids and do what is best for their family- no matter if they stay home full time or work.

Plus, you know what's the icing on the cake? I love the fact that my husband gets to be with the kids all day because it reminds him of the crazy I deal with on a daily basis : )

photo credit

No comments:

Post a Comment