Sunday, November 3, 2013

Getting Nasty Grout Clean (for cheap!)

When we moved into our house I had to do a ton of cleaning- the woman we bought it from I guess just didn't understand that sweeping your house and doing nothing else would result in grossness.

One thing that really grossed me out was the tile in our mudroom- there was a short amount of time that I thought the grout was supposed to be dark brown but when I finally realized it was supposed to be white I was disgusted!


I have been working on getting it clean when I have time so here is the last bit of dirtiness (this part was under our rug). Gross, huh?

Now I suppose I could have paid someone to come and clean it but why would I do that when I'm cheap and I have a wonderful (and cheap) way to clean it myself?


My most favorite way to clean grout (and my stainless steel pots and pans) is Barkeepers Friend. While I love eco-friendly cleaning products this is the only non- earth friendly product I refuse to get rid of. It works awesome along with the help of a cup of water and an old toothbrush.


This is the floor afterwards- amazing, isn't it? All I did was dump some Barkeepers Friend on the floor, dip the toothbrush in the cup of water and then the cleaner and then I scrubbed the grout and dirty spots on the tile. The tile and grout look brand new and I didn't have to hire someone to do it, which saved me a lot of money.

A bottle of Barkeepers Friend only costs about $1 and it doesn't take much to get the results I did on my tile floor. Like I said, I have ditched all chemical laden cleaners but this is one that you would have to pry out of my cold, dead hands. It just works way too well!





No comments:

Post a Comment