Thursday, October 3, 2013

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup- So Simple and Good!

Mushrooms
photo credit
I prefer to make as much from scratch as possible and to avoid processed foods (I say prefer because I am not perfect and do buy some "boxed" stuff, though I make sure to buy organic) so when I come across a new recipe that allows me to do this I get super excited.

My excitement this time is about cream of mushroom soup. You see, my husband loves tuna casserole and one of the main ingredients is cream of mushroom soup. There was a time that I thought buying a can of it was the only way but then I started doing some research and realized that it is in fact possible to make your own!

How awesome is that- you can ditch buying a can of processed soup that contains questionable ingredients with just a few simple steps. No more being a slave to the grocery store; make up a big batch and freeze some so that you always have some on hand!

When I made tuna casserole the other night I tired out this cream of mushroom soup recipe from Wholesome Mommy. It came out really good- I mean really, really good!

4 oz. Fresh White Mushrooms (stems removed), sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter (use real butter- it's way better than the fake stuff)
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup Beef Broth (I used my homemade beef stock)
1 cup Heavy Cream (she used half and half but I think heavy cream gives it a richer taste)
Salt to Taste

Melt butter on medium low heat in pan. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft and then add the flour. Mix well with mushrooms/butter. Add the beef stock and heavy cream and mix well. Turn heat to medium and boil soup until it's at the desired consistency, making sure to stir often.

If you have a husband who hates mushrooms, you can at this point strain the soup (yes, I know it is weird that he will eat cream of mushroom soup in a tuna casserole but act like he is going to barf if he comes in contact with an actual mushroom).

If you want to make a tuna casserole with your new found ability to make cream of mushroom soup, it's pretty darn easy!

Pour your cream of mushroom soup into a casserole dish. Add about 1 1/2 cups cooked noodles (more or less depending on how noodle-ly you want your dish) and a can of drained tuna. Mix it all up and put the cover on the casserole dish. Cook for about 30 minutes in an oven preheated to 325 degrees, stirring occasionally (or more than occasionally if you are like me and do not want any crispy bits).

This was the best tuna casserole I have ever made- my husband loved it and I even like it which is saying a lot because I hate tuna casserole!

No comments:

Post a Comment