Thursday, October 3, 2013

Homemade Beef Stock- You'll Never Use Store Bought Again!

The other day I did something that I have been wanting to do for a long time- I made my own beef stock.


I've made homemade chicken more times than I can count but beef stock has always kind of scared me. The main ingredient is beef bones and those are not things that I keep on hand (unlike chicken carcasses which are always aplenty in my chest freezer).

When I actually looked into making beef stock it really didn't seem that bad, so I headed to Whole Foods and bought some beef bones (they always have them stocked) and also a beef shank which was recommended by the guy at the meat counter.

I used this recipe and was majorly wowed by how good the stock came out. If you are used to using store bought then making your own will knock your socks off with how rich it tastes- I can't even think of one brand of store bought even comes close.


I ended up getting thirteen cups of beef stock from three beef bones and one beef shank plus miscellaneous vegetables (most were scraps that I have been saving in my freezer)- twelve cups are residing in my freezer as we speak and one cup was used to make homemade cream of mushroom soup (I will post about that another day- it is a can't miss recipe).

So now, just like I refuse to buy chicken stock I will from this day on refuse to buy beef stock. Why buy something when you can make a superior tasting and more wholesome version at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment