Thursday, November 15, 2012

Puffy Jackets Need Not Apply...

winter landscape
photo credit
It is getting cold out around here and if you have kids you are most likely bundling them up when you leave the house. This is great, until you get into the car.

Did you know that buckling your child up in their car seat with a winter jacket on is dangerous? When you tighten the harness you may think that your child is safe but what you may not realize is that in the event of a crash, the material on the jacket will compress a lot and your child will not be secured.

Please read this to see what happens when you put your child in their car seat in a winter jacket- you will be shocked. There are also good tips on how to safely keep your child warm in the car.

I have never put any of my kids in their car seats in winter jackets- they know to take them off before I buckle them (my five year old son and three year old daughter are in forward facing harnessed seats and my one year old is in a rear facing seat). Yes, it is on extra step but when it comes to safety I do not cut corners just to save time. Now, cutting corners in other aspects of my parenting- I am definitely guilty of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment