Saturday, September 1, 2012

Live and Let Live...

Wedding Rings 2
photo credit
As a mother I want the best for my kids. I want them to grow up to be productive members of society and to be happy. I want them to be who they are and be good at whatever they decide to do with their lives. This means that I wouldn't care if any of my children were gay.

Yep, I said it. I wouldn't care. If that is who they are then that is how I will love them. Being gay isn't some deficiency that a parent needs to grieve about- it is just simply how a person is. People are born this way, just as people are born with different colored hair, are born a man or a woman, are born right handed or left handed.

When I see on the news all of the controversy about gay people being allowed to get married I always wonder, what is the big deal? They are people and they want to get married just like anyone else. How is it right to tell someone that you can't do something that everyone else has the right to do because of how you were born? You cannot change being gay- the idea of praying away the gay is ludicrous and it is just cruel to tell a person that they are bad for simply being who they were born to be.

And if you don't agree with it for whatever reason, guess what? There are tons of things that I don't agree with people doing but I don't feel like I need to make it illegal for them to do those things. We all don't have to agree on everything that happens in this nation but we do need to be respectful of others' rights.

I know that one day, we as a nation will look back on these days and cringe about the fact that we thought it was okay to refuse people basic rights because of something so silly. I want my kids to be able to marry who makes them happy, just as I was able to marry the person who made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment