Saturday, June 16, 2012

eFoodsDirect- Dehydrated Food is Good!



I was recently contacted to do a review for eFoodsDirect dehydrated meals. I took a look at their website and was perplexed by their products.

You see, eFoodsDirect believes in three principles; Serve, Save and Share- Serve great food and one another, Save for unforeseen circumstances that lie ahead, and Share the message of gaining control of your food supply and be less dependent on others. I honestly have never even though about stockpiling dehydrated food, heck- I never even knew that dehydrated food was something a regular person could buy!

I know you are probably thinking, how healthy can dehydrated food be? We are all programmed to think that fresh food is healthy and anything else is processed and bad but eFoodsDirect's dehydrated food is high quality and full of nutrients. Dehydrating food removes moisture from the food and preserves it without any added chemicals while preserving 92% of the nutritional value. All meals at E-Foods are dehydrated from premium-grade fresh foods, have no genetically altered ingredients, no added msg, no hydrogenated oil, no trans fats and no irradiated ingredients. All meals are vegetarian and they offer gluten, dairy and soy free options.

After all of my reading I was impressed but then came the taste test. Would all of the good things I read matter if the food tasted bad?

This particular day I had a hankering for something spicy so I decided to make the Tortilla Soup. Normally for lunch I grab whatever I can, usually some crackers or a yogurt, while I am trying to wrangle the kids and do housewife stuff. I don't have time to make time intensive food so this seemed to fit the bill for simplicity.

The preparation was so easy- I just added the contents of the package into boiling water and simmered for fifteen minutes. I want to warn you that when you look into the package at the dry ingredients it doesn't look like much but believe me, it turns into something that looks and smells good- my whole house smelled delicious and my five year old son asked if I was making tacos. I told him I was making soup and that it was mine- sometimes a mom has to be a little selfish.

So how did it taste? Really good- I scarfed it down, though next time I will simmer it a bit longer because some of the beans were a little chewy (that was my fault because I forgot to set the timer on the stove). I honestly would have never known that I was eating dehydrated food if I hadn't prepared it myself. All of my misconceptions about dehydrated food are now out the window.

I encourage you to check out eFoodsDirect to see all of their food options and read up on food preparedness; they really give you a lot to think about when it comes to feeding your family and protecting them in the event of a disaster.

 

this picture is from the eFoodsDirect website- I was far too hungry to stop and take a picture of the soup I made.


Disclaimer: I was provided with food to review but did not receive any other compensation. All opinions are mine and are 100% honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment