Monday, March 12, 2012

Menu Plan Monday


Sunday
Pasta with Homemade Tomato Sauce
Crescent Rolls
Fruit

Monday
Steak Tips on the Grill
Bacony Egg Noodles (recipe from Rachel Ray Magazine)
Broccoli
Corn

Tuesday
Chilli (recipe from Cook's Illustrated)
Green Beans

Wednesday
Dutch Oven Chicken
with
Bacon Red Potatoes (not very healthy but so very good!)
Broccoli
Beets

Thursday
Chicken and Homemade Ghetto Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Brown Rice

Friday
Take-Out

Saturday
I don't get home from work until 6:30 pm so we all fend for ourselves.


Last week I bought myself two beautiful Le Creuset dutch ovens at the outlet store and am now officially on a dutch oven cooking kick.

Sunday night I made a delicious homemade sauce in the 5.5 quart oven. Tonight I made the bacony egg noodles in the same oven- the recipe came out so-so, but through no fault of myself or the cooking apparatus. I am really not too big of a fan of Rachel Ray's recipes and don't think I will be trying anymore of them. There just seems to be a lack of flavor in her dishes and I know I could use my lackluster cooking abilities to whip up things that taste way better. 

Tomorrow night I will be making chilli in the 5.5 quart oven and am really excited about the recipe- it's from my Cook's Illustrated cookbook which is, in my humble opinion, the bible of cooking. My husband has never had chilli before so hopefully he likes it!

Wednesday night I will use the 9 quart oven to cook a whole chicken and red potatoes with bacon. I made this last week and it came out just perfect. The chicken came out so moist that the only way I want to cook chicken from now on is in a dutch oven. I also credit the moistness to the fact that I use all natural chickens, in this case it was a Nature's Promise one from Stop and Shop. For some reason the normal chickens don't taste as good.

Thursday night I am going to strip all of the leftover meat from the chicken and cook it in some homemade ghetto gravy. I'll post my "recipe" later in the week but it basically consists of homemade chicken stock, cornstarch, poultry seasoning and some salt and pepper. This is the kind of gravy I make for normal dinners. For holiday dinners, well that is a whole different story.

It feels good to be out of my funk and to be excited about cooking again.

I am participating in I'm an Organizing Junkie's Menu Plan Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment