Friday, October 28, 2011

Star Wars Trick or Treat Bag


My son is going to be Captain Rex from Star Wars for Halloween- he really loves Star Wars which is funny because he has never seen any of the movies and I only just recently let him watch the Clone Wars cartoon series.

When he said he wanted to be a Star Wars guy for Halloween I instantly started to think about what kind of trick or treat bag I could make him. Every year I make the kids a bag or basket that matches their costume- it is my little tradition that I will continue to do until the kids decide I am lame and just want to use a pillowcase to collect their candy.

After much searching I found this picture of R2D2 to use as my inspiration. I went to the craft store (actually two craft stores because why would one store have everything I was looking for?) and bought lots of felt (on sale for .25 a sheet), tacky glue, fabric scissors (I finally splurged on real fabric scissors and I am wondering what the heck took me long) and a cheap $1 bag.

Basically, I cut out templates of all the shapes I needed using cardboard from cereal boxes (I cut the boxes so my kids have "paper" to use during arts and crafts time) and laid them out until I was happy with how everything looked. I used the templates to cut out the felt pieces and started gluing away.

I am very happy with how it turned out because believe me, when I sat down to make this bag tonight I really had no idea how I was going to pull it off. I am sure that when my son sees it tomorrow morning he will love it and that is what really matters in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment