Friday, October 7, 2011

The Hour That Matters Most- A Book Review


I was recently given the opportunity to do a book review on The Hour That Matters Most by Les and Leslie Parrot with Stephanie Allen and Tina Kuna.

The concept of the book sounded interesting to me- that family meals are a simple way to make your family closer. My family and I already eat together almost every night so I went into reading this book thinking that there was not much more it could teach me about the time honored family dinner. I was wrong.

My family eats dinner together because I like us to all sit down together- it just feels right to me. The Hour That Matters Most showed me that what we are doing is good for us as a family not only because it make us closer now but because it will help us continue to be close even as the children grow into teenagers and beyond. What better time to talk about how our days went and to tune into each other- in my family it seems as if dinnertime is the only time we all just get to sit and be with each other without any outside distractions.

Another great point that The Hour That Matters Most brought up was that what is most important about the family meal is that the family is together, not necessarily what is being served for that meal. Don't feel bad if you don't whip up a gourmet meal every night, just do your best to make a meal that your family will enjoy and know that what your kids take away from the act of sitting down around the table together far outweighs what you serve on it.

Though The Hour That Matters Most seemed like it is more targeted towards the working moms I did take a lot of great information away from it as a stay at home mom. I especially liked the chapters that focused on family dinners and teenagers. My children are still very young but the tips on asking open ended questions and conversation starters seem like priceless nuggets of wisdom that I will use in the future. If you think that you don't have enough time to sit down as a family, there are many tips on how to accomplish this including on how to start your own fix it and freeze it club.

Whether you are a stay at home mom or you work outside of the home, The Hour That Matters Most is a must read to show you that such a simple thing as eating together as a family can have such a wonderful impact on the health of you family's relationships (and your physical health as well). Being too busy is no excuse anymore!

The Hour That Matters Most was launched on September 6, 2011 and is available for purchase through Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble for $15.99.

For more information, visit www.thehourthatmattersmost.com

Disclaimer: I was in no way compensated for this review but was given a complimentary copy of the book to read. All opinions are 100% mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment