Saturday, June 25, 2011

Budget Overhaul

The other night I overhauled our household budget. Let me tell you something, having everything written out in black and white can be such an eye-opener to what your financial life actually looks like.

I went through all of our monthly bills and expenses and now almost every dollar that we take in has a name to it. I even made budget categories for clothing, pets and diapers of which I haven't had for a very long time. I am hoping that we will be able to build up our savings more than we have been and then chip away at some of our credit cards though I'm not too worried about getting them all paid off super quickly. They'll eventually get paid off and I'm not going to have my family eat beans and rice to do it.

Hopefully we will be able to stick to our budget but it does feel good to know that we do have a bit of wiggle room if we don't some weeks (I purposely left a little safety net each week because sometimes things just come up like going over in our grocery budget or my husband wanting to get a coffee).

No comments:

Post a Comment