Thursday, May 12, 2011

Birthday Anxiety

My son turns four on May 21st and to celebrate I have decided to have a real party for him. By real party I mean I am inviting his little friends from school along with our neighbors and their kids and our family.

I rented a bounce house but am having a bit of anxiety of what else to do. We are going to have our usual cook out, a pinata and cake (my son wants a Spiderman cake again- how boring) but the party is from 1 to 4 pm and what else do I do to keep the kids entertained? I have never been to a kids birthday party before, other than over over twenty years ago when I was a kid, so I don't know what it is that people do when they have kids parties at their houses.

I know I'm over thinking this- I mean four year old kids have fun just doing their own thing, but at the same time I don't want his party to suck. Plus, the kids' parents will be there so I want to make sure that they don't have an awful time. And to top it off, if it rains that day I will completely freak out because what the heck do you do for an indoor birthday party?

If anyone has ever had a kids birthday party please enlighten me to what I can do to make my son's first real party decent. Please.

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to throw my 2 sisters and me birthday parties when we were younger at our house (which is hindsight is amusing to think about because my mother is a hoarder)... but in any regards, she used to set up all these different kinds of games that we'd each play and whoever "won" got a prize (some weird piece of crap toy, bubbles, stuffie, etc.)and everyone else got a "parting gift" so to speak.
    We played pin the tail on the donkey, drop the clothespins in the bucket, bean bag toss, we'd do egg-on-a spoon relay races... it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete