Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies

I felt like having a snack so I decided to make oatmeal cookies. My favorite recipe isn't anything fancy shmancy- it is the recipe from the Quaker Oats container.

Ingredients (makes about 2 dozen cookies):

1 stick of butter, softened
1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar (I used light brown)
1/4 cup regular sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups oatmeal

A great and quick way to soften butter is to cut it into thin slices and let sit out while you gather the other ingredients and wait for the oven to preheat.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the butter is softened, beat it together with the sugars. I made these during my daughter's nap time so I mixed the cookies the old fashioned way- with a spoon. I was scared the mixer would wake her up because nothing is worse then waking up a sleeping toddler.

Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix together well.

In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and cinnamon.

Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix together well.

Then add in the oatmeal and stir until combined.

Yum.

Drop onto an ungreased baking sheet by rounded tablespoonfuls. I used two sheets but if you only have one sheet a great tip to cool it down between batches is to flip it over and run cold water on the bottom of it. This quickly cools it so you can drop the second batch of mix onto the sheet without worrying about a hot baking sheet prematurely baking your cookies.

Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.

Here is what the cookies look like when they come out of the oven.

There is nothing like a plate full of delicious oatmeal cookies.

Now, these cookies are in no way healthy but because I made them from scratch and didn't use a mix from the grocery store (or buy prepackaged cookies) I know exactly what is in them and that there aren't any weird, junky ingredients in them. So instead of healthy we will call these wholesome. If you wanted to make them healthier you could use whole wheat flour and replace some of the butter with applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment