Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Worm Composting Wednesday

It's worm time!

I swear my husband thinks I am crazy- he looks at the bin and sees this. It looks no different that it did when I first started this little project.

I didn't feed the worms last week because they still had a bunch of food leftover. This week it is mostly gone so I am adding half a banana peel and a cut up apple. I stored these in the fridge until today because I didn't want them to get too rotten and gross (I have my limits of what I will deal with- slimy, rotten food is one of them).

The worms are doing a great job eating and pooping. Go worms!

When I add the "food" I pull back the shredded paper bedding spread out the scraps and then cover back up with the bedding. I cover the food scraps to keep the fruit flies away plus I think the wormies like their food buried.

It has been a little over a month since I started my worm bin and I am very happy that my worms are still alive. If I could go back I would have not over saturated my brain with information on worm bins- I made things more complicated that I needed to. This is really such an easy thing to do plus you get some great fertilizer out of it and get rid of some food scraps instead of throwing them in the trash. If you a "green" person this is right up your alley and if your not (like me) it is a fun project to do with your kids.

And I know this is so hard to believe- but worm bins do not smell bad! Mine smells like dirt and only if I stick my head in it (yes, I stuck my head in my bin to smell it because I smelled something gross which turned out to be my daughter's dirty diaper- ewww!)



No comments:

Post a Comment