Friday, September 17, 2010

Big Old Batch of Pancakes for the Kids

I used my last frozen homemade pancake this morning so this afternoon I whipped up a batch of new ones.

Here are the regular pancakes.

Here are the chocolate chip ones (a special treat for my three year old son).

This is the recipe I originally used to make wheat pancakes but after much tweaking I now have my own hybrid recipe:

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 eggs
2 cups milk
2 pureed bananas

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then mix everything together.
I use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to pour the batter onto my griddle (I cook the pancakes at 325 degrees).
I cool the cooked pancakes on wire racks and then place them in airtight containers and put them into the fridge. After a couple of days I freeze whatever is left over by placing the pancakes on a baking sheet in a single layer. Once frozen I pop them into freezer bags. When I'm feeling lazy and don't want to cook (isn't that always?) I just defrost the pancakes in the microwave for about a minute each.

When I made these pancakes I added a container of pureed sweet potato baby food that I found in my cupboard. I also added some chocolate chips to part of the batter per my son's request. I have also made apple pancakes with this recipe- I just replaced the pureed banana with pureed apples. I pretty much just use what I have laying around.

Because these pancakes are for the kids I try to make them as healthy as possible. I do not add sugar, salt or oil for this reason. I don't use all whole wheat flour because it makes them a bit too dense, to the point where my son won't eat them.

When I am making Sunday pancakes (Sunday is our family day- it is the only day that we are all home) I use this recipe. It is absolutely not healthy but they are darn good and the best homemade pancake recipe I have made yet!

2 comments:

  1. Look delicious! Welcome on your feature and ad win at Frugality Is Free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being the Top Frugalista!!!!! You have earned it well 80) Those pancakes look sooo yummy!!

    ReplyDelete