Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Just Call Me Crazy

I received a Garden's Alive catalog today in the mail with a $25 off a $25 purchase coupon in it. Yeah, yeah- that's pretty cool in its self but I found something inside that I thought was even cooler.

There was an indoor compost bin that used worms. Worms! I am very perplexed by this and have been doing much research on the Internet about indoor composting with worms.

I am not a crunchy, tree hugging, green type of person so this is very new to me. I want to do it because it looks cool and I want to cut down on how much food I throw in the trash (my town charges an arm and a leg for trash bags) not because I am trying to save the environment. Plus, if I decide to start a garden next year this will make a great addition to the soil.

My choices seem to be to buy a composter for $80 or more or to make one on the cheap. The store bought one would be nicer and would make it much easier to harvest the compost but I don't want to shell out that kind of money when I don't know how successful I will be. It looks like I will be trekking to Target to purchase a plastic bin.

Now I just have to figure out where to buy my worms (by this I mean where can I get the best deal). The going rate so far is about $40 for 2000 with free shipping.

I am excited about starting a new project and I know my three year old son will think it is so cool. My husband thinks I am a little weird and I hope he doesn't think I am turning into a hippie- I mean, I know that I don't shave my legs as much as I did when we were dating but lets not jump to conclusions here.

No comments:

Post a Comment