Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Zucchini Muffins

During the kids' nap time I got to make Zucchini Muffins. I found this recipe at All Recipes and it is a keeper. I did make some alterations to make them a bit more healthy and instead of making a loaf of bread I made muffins. Any that don't get eaten within the next couple of days I will freeze so my kids can enjoy the zucchini goodness for weeks to come.

The alterations I made to this recipe were:

I used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce instead of 1 cup oil
I cut the brown sugar to 1/2 cup (if I were making these for me and not the kids I would have put the full 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar)
I pureed the zucchini so that it would not be noticed (chunks of vegetables are a no no when sneaking them into recipes)- it ended up being about one cup of puree
I omitted the salt and did not add raisins or walnuts (both choking hazards for my one year old)
I added 1/4 cup ground flax seed instead of wheat germ
I made muffins instead of bread- I filled the muffin cups 3/4 full and cooked at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes (until toothpick inserted in center of muffin came out clean).

My three year old son and my one year old daughter loved them so I was happy. I even tried one and to my surprise I liked them. As noted above, if I were making them for just me I would have added the whole amount of sugar to make them a bit sweeter.

A healthy snack that both of my kids like- success!

No comments:

Post a Comment