Sunday, June 20, 2010

Birthday Cake Plus a Big Fricken Mess

Here is my daughter's birthday cake. I made everything from scratch using this cake recipe from Womans Day and this buttercream frosting recipe from Wilton.
A couple of tips that I have to ensure that the cake doesn't stick to the pan are:
-Use shortening to grease the pan and make sure to get all of the nooks. Once the pan is greased shake flour around the pan until there a no shiny spots and discard any extra flour. I have used vegetable spray in the past and have now converted to only using shortening (I put a sandwich baggie on my hand to make it a little less messy).
-Bake the cake at 325 degrees instead of 350 degrees. My cake took about 50 minutes to cook but after 40 minutes I checked it every 5 minutes by inserting a toothpick (if toothpick comes out clean the cake is done) to see if it was done.

This is the birthday banner I made. I looked around to buy one but everything that I saw in stores was tacky. I used things that I already had on hand in my craft box and the ribbon that I bought the other day. I save all odds and ends from gifts and crafts that I make because I never know when they will come in handy.


This is my sink at 1 am Saturday night (or Sunday morning).

This is my counter top at 1 am. I suppose I could have cleaned up as I went along but once 11 pm hit I just didn't care. I was in cake decorating mode and nothing was going to stop me.
I had a lot of fun making the cake and the banner- I really enjoy doing things like this so when an opportunity comes up I always take advantage of it.
What matters most though is that my daughter really liked her cake and everyone enjoyed themselves at her party.
Job well done- when do I get my raise?

No comments:

Post a Comment