Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Just When I thought I had this Parenting Thing Figured Out...

I signed my son up for nursery school in the fall. It's two days a week for three hours each day. We went to take a tour and he loved it- I liked it too. My issue is that he has to be potty trained.

Up until now I have been taking the he'll learn how to use the potty someday approach but now I have a timeline. I have 4 1/2 months to guide him out of diapers. I'm not going to force him and turn it into a power struggle but I am going to have to start taking an active role (as opposed to taking an inactive role/doing nothing/being lazy).

Plan A is to bribe him with a WWE Wrestling play set I got on Clearance at Target. Every time he pees he gets one of the wrestling guys (there are four) and once he has all of them the next time he pees he gets the play set. I am going to have him sit on the potty every hour for 10 minutes and he is going to get to drink lots of juice (I usually only let him have juice once a day). I have a play doh table set up in the bathroom for him to keep him occupied. This is the plan. My son is very strong willed and is prone to meltdowns when he is told to do something he doesn't want to do. I'll try this plan for a month. If it fails then I'll move onto Plan B- don't ask me what it is because I don't know.

My mother in law said that my husband would not go on the potty so when he was getting close to having to start Nursery School she told him she would have to take him to the doctor to find out what was wrong with him- he started using to potty and as my father in law says "now you can't get him off of the toilet". This may be my Plan Y. Plan Z will be to skip Nursery School and just wait until he's old enough for Pre-School.

No comments:

Post a Comment