Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Saving Money on Bread

Wonder Enriched Bread
photo credit
In an effort to spend less money on the groceries while also eating healthy, I am going to attempt to make homemade sandwich bread.

Lately, I have been buying whatever is the cheapest whole wheat sandwich bread that doesn't contain high fructose corn syrup- typically I spend between $2.50 to $4 a loaf. I used to only buy the  Matthew's brand which was $4 a loaf- it is really one of the only brands that is all natural and does not have weirdo ingredients. Considering the fact that my three kids and I (my husband is not really a fan of whole wheat bread) can polish off sometimes as much as two loaves a week, I will be spending $8 a week just on bread.

$8 a week is a lot. Because I am not willing to buy the cheaper stuff to save money I will either have to cough up the cash or find a way to make my own.

I found this recipe tonight (thanks to Money Saving Mom) and it seem like something that will be easy to pull off with the help of my trusty bread machine. I am a little nervous because I have never made dough in the bread machine and then baked it in a loaf pan in the oven but if I mess it up at least all of the ingredients are cheap!

So, wish me luck! I'll be sure and post my victorious loaf of bread or my complete epic fail of a loaf of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment