Thursday, November 29, 2012

Frugal Tip: Use Less Meat

Taco
photo credit
Ground beef is a staple in many meals, so we always have it in the freezer waiting to be cooked up into something good. Most recipes call for one pound but I just consider that a suggestion.

You see, I am such a rebel that I only use 10 ounces of ground beef when I make many things. Recipes such as tacos, meat sauce, American chop suey, etc. can easily be downgraded from the one pound status-quo to my rebel without a cause ten ounces.

When I buy a lot of ground beef I freeze it into mostly ten ounce portions and a couple of one pound portions- the one pound portions being for meatloaf and meatballs.

Right now this works for my family of five which includes myself, my husband, my five year old son, my three year old daughter (I swear she is going to be a vegetarian) and my one one year old daughter (she eats more than her two siblings combined).

So go ahead and try cutting back how much ground beef you use- you may end up realizing that less meat doesn't equal a less satisfying meal and you'll save money to boot!

No comments:

Post a Comment