Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Dairy Free Waffles

I have been on a search for a dairy free waffle recipe that tastes good and I finally found one!

I made this recipe this morning but substituted soy milk for the milk and non-dairy spread (I use Earth Balance which I buy at Whole Foods) for the butter. I only made a half batch because I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out.

They came out delicious and you can't even taste the soy milk which is great because I hate soy milk. Why do I use it you may ask? Well, it just seems to have a closer consistency to real milk so it works well in recipes- much better than the rice milk I was using before (rice milk is very watery). My kids even liked them. You have no idea what a big deal this is because this is the first time the Alli, who is two, has ever eaten a non-round waffle (I usually buy the Nutri-Grain Eggo's).

If you want to make them healthier I'm sure you could substitute some of the flour for whole wheat flour but I'm not going to mess with a good thing, especially with picky kids in the house (though maybe white whole wheat flour would go undetected by them). Next time I'm going to make a big batch and freeze some for quick breakfasts (just pop the frozen waffles into the toaster to heat up).

I am so excited that I can eat waffles now and can't wait to try this recipe without substitutions once I wean Jilly Billy from breastfeeding (six and half months to go).

No comments:

Post a Comment