Saturday, March 24, 2012

No More Money Down the Drain- Berry Time

Strawberrys
photo credit
My daughter loves strawberries so I buy a carton of them every week whether they are $2 a pound or $4 a pound. She is a picky girl so if she likes it and it's healthy you bet I buy it regardless of price.

Because I spend so much on strawberries I want them to last until they are all eaten up- nothing is worse than going into the refrigerator to grab some berries and to see that they are mushy and moldy. It really sucks throwing away half a container that you paid $4 for.

A great way to avoid food waste in regards to berries is to wash them in a vinegar solution, which removes any nasties that cause rotting and moldiness. All you need to do is mix one part vinegar to ten parts water and rinse the berries in the solution. Take them out, dry them off and store in the refrigerator (you cannot taste the vinegar on the berries). Your berries will last way longer than normal and you won't be throwing money away on spoiled produce.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I can't wait to try this out! It drives me crazy throwing away strawberries we've only has a couple of days. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I hate throwing away strawberries. Wonder if it works on raspberries and blackberries too?

    ReplyDelete