Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Good Bargain Shopper Gone Bad...


4 Fruitabu @ $3.99 each - (2) BOGO MC
Pears $4.56 ($1.49/lb)
Bananas $1.37
Potatoes $2.30 (.50/lb)
Butternut Squash $1.29
Cooks Ham $9.92 (I think I had a coupon I didn't use...)
Stop and Shop Sugar $3.19 (I forgot that I already had sugar at home and didn't need this...)
10 Kool Aid Packets @ .23 each
Snyders Pretzels $2.50
4 Sprite/Dr. Pepper 12 Packs @ $2.50 each plus $2.40 bottle deposit - $1.00 MC
2 Lays Chips @ $2.00 each - $1/2 MC
Knock Off Lunchable $1.00
Margherita Pepperoni $2.00 - $1.00 MC
Stop and Shop Butter $2.50 - .35 Scanner Savings
24 Pack Sorrento String Cheese $4.99
2 Yo Baby Yogurt @ $2.50 each - .50/2 Catalina MC
2 GoGurt @ $2.50 each - .55/2 Peelie (doubled)
Hood Sour Cream .99 - .75 Catalina MC
Philidelphia Cream Cheese Minis $1.79
Eggs $1.99 (should have got these at Target- they are waaaay cheaper)
Milk $2.99
Minute Maid Kids Orange Juice $2.79
Stop and Shop Granola Bars $2.00
Stop and Shop Multi Grain Rice Cakes $1.79
Less .25 in Reusable Bag Credits

Total: $82.69
Received a $1.00 Catalina for purchasing two YoBaby yogurts
Saved 38%

I know that for many people spending $82 at the grocery store is nothing, but wow- it is a lot for me!

Here is my excuse:
The Fruitabu were $2.00 a box after coupons which is a great price but it really added to my total. I bought these for my son for his stocking because he loves them and has not had them for a very, very long time. I don't let him eat fruit snacky stuff so these are a special treat and he will be very excited.

I had to buy the ham. We never buy ham because it is expensive and I really want to have ham for dinner this week. I think I had a $1.00 coupon but obviously I didn't think of it until after I had already left the store.

I bought the sugar thinking I needed it but when I got home to put it in the pantry I saw that there was a 5lb bag of sugar already sitting there. Ooops- but I guess it is better to have too much sugar than to run out.

Soda is something that my husband needs to survive (or so he tells me). $2.50 for a 12 pack is a good deal in these parts during the winter months.

I like potato chips- especially kettle cooked ones. They are my special treat.


After the holidays I am going to start tightening my belt a little with the grocery shopping. My issue is that I really used to enjoy going to the grocery store so planning my trips out was fun. Now I hate it- grocery shopping is the bane of my existence. Drugstore shopping yes, grocery shopping no. A lot of the stuff I buy is not easy to coupon down to nothing so I just try to do my best. My daughter is also getting older so she eats more. We go through a lot of yogurt, wheat bread, string cheese and crackers in this house between my tow kids.

And oh crap- after spending all of that money I forgot to buy bread. Doh!



1 comment:

  1. Don't feel bad it is to hard around the holidays to stay on a budget. It seems my kids and hubby are home more and we need more food. We are complete slackers cause we have jumped back on the take out/eat out bandwagon. Not to mention I have had to purchase so much extra for parties/classroom functions etc. I am just going to wait for the New Year and start fresh.

    ReplyDelete