Monday, September 6, 2010

My Baby Is Growing Up Too Darn Fast...


To many this may seem like a bike with training wheels. It is, but to me this is yet another reminder that my three year old son is growing up (and in my opinion- way too fast).

My husband went out with my son yesterday to buy a bike and came back with this. It has spiders on it which sold my son on it and my husband who knows a lot about bikes thought it was a very well made bike so they bought it for $200 including our wonderful .0625% Massachusetts sales tax (thanks Deval Patrick!).

When they brought it home and I saw my son on it my heart melted and my eyes started tearing. When I found out how much it cost I didn't really even care (isn't it funny how our emotions can over ride practical thinking?).

My son, who just a little over three years ago was a newborn who was incapable of surviving without me (though I had absolutely no idea what to do with a baby), is now riding a bike with training wheels.

I know a lot of people think that I am overreacting, but this is all just going by too fast for me.

I look back on days and think that I didn't spend enough time with my kids and you know what, I didn't.

There is so much stuff that goes along with being home with the kids- laundry, cleaning, cooking... just making sure the kids are fed, cleaned and clothed takes up a majority of my day.

This bike puts things into prospective for me. My kids are growing up too fast and I need to enjoy every moment with them that I can. They will only be little for so long and then they will be off to school with their own friends and their own lives.

So, while my son is learning to ride his new bike, I will be learning how to enjoy every moment I have with my kids while they are still just mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment